Saturday, September 09, 2006

 
Well, I've been doing chemo now for almost two weeks....I can't believe that!!??! (my apologies on the run on sentences...for some reason I havent been able use the "return" key and create paragraphs etc...I'm a blogging newbie). I hope to be able to give you more of where I'm at both physically and emotionally. Physically: In more detail, the myeloma is effecting proteins in my bone marrow. Plasma cells have formed in my marrow that generally send out proteins when there's infection, disease, etc. My cells are just shooting them off to fight some unknown, non-present infection. The protein cells that are being produced are known as Kappa Light Chains, apparently a rarer, less frequent form. The funny thing is my bone marrow biopsy only showed 5% of these (or any) plasma cells. Generally, myeloma is not diagnosed unless there's +/-30% plasma cells. So, I may have fewer cells. But, they are producing an over abundance of these proteins. So much so that my kidneys have been overwhelmed by them and have shut down because the proteins continue to block their filtering capabilities. Hence, why I am on dialysis. So, the myeloma affects (will affect) my body in three ways; Brittle bones, Infections, and Kidney Function. My kidneys have already failed. But, there's still a good chance they will recover once we get a handle on shutting down the protein production (that's what the current rounds of chemo are for). Myeloma also creates leisons on and in the bone that can weaken them and often causes them to break. As it is now, it appears I have a 6cm "hole" in my right femur and my biceps have leison growths. I wouldnt have known anything was wrong with my leg unless you told me. My arms on the other hand...well, my right arm is restricted in movements and hurts like hell. It's like a searing pain down my arm, like a pinched nerve. The "growth" is pressuring the nerves which makes my arm weaker and movements can be difficult. Next week I start radiation for 2 weeks on my arms and legs to get after these areas. This should stop the leisons and thereby lessen the pain. Then, I'll do PT to get my arms back into shape. Thankfully, I havent had any infections. That will be a concern as time goes on. My immune system becomes depressed (especially in treatment) that could put me at risk. So, I may be doing my best Michael Jackson impersonation for a while and wear the surgical mask (hoo...hoo). Emotionally: I don't even know where to start sometimes. Everything can be pretty overwhelming. I mean everyday I'm doing something to combat this damn disease. It's dialysis MWF. It's chemo Tu and F. It's radiation every day for two weeks. It's doctor's appts and everything in between. It's taken medications. It's being fu**ed up on meds. It's changing dreams and changed realities. I mean, I went from having a week off on the 4th of July to play tennis and golf, and come out of it with cancer! So, each day it's an adjustment. Each day I find my boot straps and pull them on again and do the next thing to get me to tomorrow. Some days I just want to roll over in bed. But, somehow I find the strength and courage to keep moving forward. I guess I've always been intrepid in that way. For better or for worse I can be a stubborn guy. There are some things I can't accept until I try everything. So, I will continue to keep trying. Becuase as I write this...I look outside and the sun's shining and the birds are chirping and the cicada's are whining (a lil' too much). The River is rolling by and people are walking their dogs enjoying the day in front of them. And, that's what I'm going do too. And, that's what I'm going to continue to do. Post Script: I want to thank everyone for their emails, phone calls, posts, and cards. I can't tell you what it all means to me to have you in my corner. I carry those thoughts with me and together we'll get through this soon. Love ya's Lance.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?