Sunday, November 05, 2006

 
Progress: My kappa-light chain (KLC) proteins continue to decrease...Woohoo! The numbers dropped from 1100 when I was first admitted, to 260 a couple of weeks ago, and are now at 89. I'm now only one order of magnitude higher than where they should be (between 1 - 2). That's the good news. And, there is really no bad news. Just status quo, though, my kidneys aren't playing nice. So, I have an appt 11/15 to see about getting the fistula implanted in my arm for better dialysis treatments. So, we'll see. As I said in the opening...progress...as we are progressing into the next stages of treatments. I will begin getting tests to ensure that I will be able to undergo the bone marrow transplant procedures. I need to get the basic pulmonary and ekgs, etc set up. As it looks now, I will continue my velcade chemo treatment up until Christmas time. Then after the first of the year, I will start on some of the "chronic" chemo in preparation for removal of stem cells from my bone marrow where they'll culture and re-grow healthy marrow. I'll get another dose of the "chronic" and shortly after, they will re-inject my own cultured marrow back into me. This is the time when I'll probably most vulnerable to infections because I will basically have no immune system until my marrow can take hold again. So I'll get to play the boy-in-the-bubble (It was the mopes!) for about 3wks at the University at Penn Hospital. And, if that wasnt good enough...I'll get to do all over again 3 months later (April-ish)....Woohoo, again! Besides, that I feel fine. I feel lucky at times having been able to accomplish and do the things I still do. I've been fortunate to the point where I now refer to this as being the "Easy" part as compared with what I see coming down the road. I mean, I'm able to take care of myself, my home, and still get out and about. In fact, Becky and I went to NYC this weekend and had great time (though, the subways were screwy...they should do something about that...wait...I was doing something about that...lol). We went to Amercian Natural History Museum, did the Top of the Rock, and Times Square. It was fun. But, lots of walking...urban hiking, as I tried to convince her. So, I'm fortunate to have these moments. It's funny, if you didnt know me, you wouldny have a clue what's been going on. And, I like those moments when I can just "B". I don't think about the procedures. I forget about the pains in my arms. I forget about the swelling in my feet. I forget about the upcoming procedures and tests, etc. Ah...the weekends. I too get some time off. Take care. Drop me a note or call and say hi sometime. Thanks again for everyone's help and support. I couldnt do this without you. Love ya, Lance

Comments:
Hey Lance, I love you. I'm glad you're being honest on your blog...you need to grieve for yourself....i think its great that your goal is to do something "good" everyday. Many of us don't accomplish this everyday. You are a natural at doing good things, so it will be easy.

I miss you...all your friends at Harris miss you and think about you all the time.....

Even on your down days, you are inspiring Lance. Thoughtful, sensitive and wonderful.....

Talk to you soon.

Love,
christine
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?