Sunday, December 03, 2006

 
More Good News! First, I turned 41 today. Happy Birthday to ME! And then for the lesser good news (or probably good luck). On my way to chemo last week I was pulled over for running a red light. I was all hopped up on Steroids and just wanted to get chemo. To my justification, the light was yellow when I entered the intersection. And as I approached I checked to see if the intersection was stable (and that there were no Philly cops). Well, I guess 2 out of 3 was ok. But, the flashing lights started in my rear view mirror. I pull over and handed the officer all my info. He goes back to his car and I'm sure i'm getting a ticket. But, no! He say's today is my lucky day and lets me off. And, I didnt even get a chance to use the "I-was-running-late-for-chemo-sympathy-card". Just shows to go you what a clean record and clean living gets you (Although, I've been pulled over a few times in the past couple of years with my "clean" record and let go...If they didnt let me go, my record would not be clean...I'll take it!). Now for the really good news! I had another follow up appointment with my oncologist last week. My Kappa Light Chain (KLCs) proteins were down once again. They are now at 46 (initially they were 1,100). So, that's a ten-fold reduction. So, what does that mean? It means that I've been responding so well to the Velcade chemo, with little side effects, that I will not need to go through the initial "killer" bladder-catherter chemo treatment; meaning no tube up my wee-wee (probably not the right words to use if I'm trying to impress the ladies...lol). This treatment would've been needed if my response hadnt been as good. The catherter was needed because the chemo they use impacts the bladder. And ,the catherter helps keep it safe. I was so freaking out about this treatment and now it looks like I wont need it. Additionally, the whole schedule has been moved up. I begin doing prep treatments the week after Christmas. We are scheduling Stem Cell Collection during the week of 1/2 with the bone marrow transplant scheduled for 1/9/07. That's when I'll be in the hospital for at least 3 weeks. But, it's not as bad as I thought it was. It's not the boy-in-the-bubble as I first thought. There are still plenty of restrictions. But, I am allowed visitors. I can wander off the unit. And, it's set up somewhat like a hotel with my own private room, a small refridge (maybe even a small microwave), and a lobby etc. So, I'm busy up until Christmas when I somewhat get a little break and then it's the big push to begin the first of probably two bone marrow transplants. It will be good. I'm looking forward to being able to get another milestone of this whole thing out of the way. Take care and again, thanks everyone. I couldnt do it without you. Love ya, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?