Monday, February 19, 2007

 
The Ongoing Saga of Stem Cell Collection: Ok, so being 6'4", 225lbs aint good for stem cell collection. Apparently, the bigger you are, the often-times harder it is to collect stem cells. I was suppose to collect between 2 and 6 million stem cells for the bone marrow replacement. It generally takes +/-3 days. But, I was only collecting between 200k and 300k at a time. I was into my second week of collection. It's not hard. I lay in bed for 3 hrs reading the paper or doing crosswords. It was my new job. I'm out of the house by 7am, in Philly rush hour traffic, and back in bed my 8am...lol. However, the collection was going too slow. I only collected enough stem cells for one transplant (2 million). And the Doctors have stopped the collection process. So now, the inevitable - as I was figuring all along - It means all the good news about omitting procedures and not needing therapies will actually have to occur. It's going to be a busy March and April. I'm scheduling the arm fistula for March 8th. The Cytoxan chemotherapy (to help the second round of stem cell collection) will be schedule the week or so after. This is an overnight stay at the hospital and it's where I get to have a catherter inserted in places I don't want them inserted. I get to lose all my hair and have all sorts of fun side effects. Then during the next 10 days, I will again give myself neupogen shots. Then, the stem cell collection process will begin all over again. Some time in early April I will go into the hospital for the actual Bone Marrow Replacement. That starts with an even bigger and higher dose of chemo called Melphlan. It takes an hour to inject and week for the side effects to come out. It's basically poison where they give you just enough that it kills everything inside of you, but's just short of killing you. It'll be at least 3 weeks in the hospital. During that time they will begin the transplant process and re-enter my collected and clean stem cells back into my body. Hopefully everything is done by May and the beginning of the nice spring and summer weather. Ok...So I'm not really looking forward to doing any of this. For the longest time I think I've been ignoring it. I think that's what has lead to my over anxoiusness, increasing anger, sleepless nights, etc. I really didnt want to admit I was sick. And getting the fistula and having the chemo and the side effects was the reality check I've been avoiding. But, there will no avoiding it. It's the best case for remission. And, I've been hearing a lot positive stories about people in remission lately. So, I guess it's time to get everything done and stop waiting. So, I again thank everyone for their help and support. Keep the positive vibes going. You'all are in my thoughts and prayers each day. Love ya's, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?