Wednesday, March 07, 2007

 
Sorry for the delay: There's really no big problems. I just havent wanted to write in a while. There have been some issues. I went into the ER on 2/23 with severe back, side (backside....haha) and abdominal pains. I still have been getting them. But, not strong enough to send me to the ER again. We are doing MRIs and other tests to see what it is. But, it can hurt...And I'm getting sick and tired of hurting. Tomorrow I finally have the fistula stent implanted in my right arm. This will help with dialysis. The doctors and nurses are all like, "It's about time". But, again, I've been holding out hope for the kidney function to return. They still can. But, to me, it becomes less likely. So, I've been holding out on getting this procedure done. In all honesty, it will probably improve my quality of life. The treatments will be better. I will get to have my current catherter removed (after the fistula matures in a couple of months). I will be able to take full-on showers (I cant get my current catherter wet). etc etc. But, having the fistula became this emotional boundary for me that I've finally agreed to cross. It'll probably be another boundary when they start using it and sticking me in the arm. On a more positive note...the back and forth world of chemo continues. As it turns out, I don't have to go through the Cytoxan chemotherapy I described in my last post. And all it took was for me to ask. My stem cell collection has been slow and they wanted to use more traditional and expedient methods (i.e. the cytoxan). But, I wasnt looking forward to having a "groin" catherter installed, losing my hair, getting sick, and spending at least one night in the hospital (risks are higher with it too). So, I asked if we can do what we've being doing with the neupogen shots and the apharesis. And the head of the oncology dept didnt see why not. So, later this week I'll take more neupogen shots and next week start the stem cell collection process again. Hopefully, I'll collect them a lil faster. I've collected 2 million so far, enough for one transplant. I need to collect at least another 2 million (hopefully more) for another transplant. After that...well it's the transplant process. So, I'll get to begin that in a month or so. It's good timing. I hopefully will be done with the first round in time for the nice warmer weather of spring and summer. Thanks for everyone's support. Take care and I hope all is well with everyone. Love ya's, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?