Monday, April 23, 2007

 
Lance 2.0 - The Preview: Well, I'm bald. Yep. It happened. Think of Yul Brynner, Mr Clean, or Dr Evil (I'm trying to cover all associated generations). I'm washing my hair the other day and I look into the sink and see all these floating hairs. I first think that I must not have cleaned my washcloth from shaving the day before. So, life goes on. The next day the same thing happens and this time I look into the mirror and Yikes...there's these balding patches. (OK...for those who'd ask...."How could you tell"...I'm laughing at you and not with you...). And, come to think of it...I really havent needed to shave lately either. I guess it was a delayed reaction from the chemo. They said it could happen. But, I figured I was ok after 2 weeks. I guess I was wrong...(Me!??!..Never!). So, after a day of wearing a baseball hat all day (even to bed), I took razor in hand and shaved off what remained. And, I must admit that I look Marvelous!! And, it was one of the few empowering moments I've had during all of this. Is was actually a time where I had some control over things. And that has helped my atitude of late. I've been down in the dumps so long. A lot of it was from the phantom abdominal pains. They can still come and go. Not as strong or as intense. Overall, they've lessened considerably. But, I can now eat more freely and enjoy things more now than before. In fact, it was great weekend. I was able to catch up with a great friend that I havent seen in almost 20yrs. We did the Philly Art Museum, walked along Boathouse Row and had a great dinner (The Aspen at 25th and Aspen). Then on Sunday, Becky and I walked through the Palmyra Nature Cove that's basically across the street from where I live. We got to see deer, turtles, and all sorts of birds. It's a nice place. Then, with my appetite returned, I made grilled shrimp kabobs.....Mmmmmm!!! So, it's amazing when I'm not in constant pain, and the weather is beautiful, that I can again have a positive outlook on life. So much so that I'm looking forward to getting the bone marrow transplant over and done with. I know the schedule keeps changing, but I'm pretty sure it will start next Monday 4/30/07. I will meet with my Doctor this Thursday to schedule, etc. It won't be fun. The heavy dose of chemo followed by at least 3wks of being in the hospital. But, it may be the last big hurdle. And, I'm looking forward to getting it over and into the summer. And, I've set up one reward for me (for now, hopefully more to folllow). I'm signing up for a sailing class in July. I've never sailed. Yet, I've lived along the Delaware River my whole life and watched the regattas from the yacht club every Wednesday. It's something I've always wanted to try. And, as my brother suggested, it's probably part of my grand scheme of living the good life in the Carribean....I can see that! Anywho, I hope everyone has enjoyed this great weather we are having. I so hated the miserable, cold, greyness that we had for soooo long. And as always, my thoughts and prayers goes out to each and everyone of you. I love you all. Peace and Love, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?