Saturday, May 26, 2007

 
Wow...It's the Weekend Already: Here I sit in the family visitors center typing away. It's Saturday evening and it looks like there's a storm a brewing outside. The nurses who've come into my room say that it's getting really warm out. It sounds like it's making for a perfect Memorial Day Holiday Weekend. My Holiday???!! It's being spent laying in my hospital bed with the occassional wandering of the halls. Though, that's not a self-pitying statement. It just is. I've had the mindset that this is what I need to do. And, I can't believe I am doing it....really! I've completed the Malphalan chemotherapy. They've put in yet another small-bore catherter in my chest (they used it for the stem cell transplants and it eliminates IVs and bloodwork needles....which I figured wouldve been over 84 over the course of the 3 weeks). And, they've already done the stem cell replacement. It was surprisingly anti-climatic. They took my collected cells which were kept in thin plastic bags. They almost looked like Steak-Ums as they removed them from the portable freezer. The resident used a large syringe and just pushed the stem cells into my catherter and into me. 8 bags worth. It took less than a half-hour. No biggie. No pain. The biggest thing is a bad after taste which they medicinally issue Starburst to counteract the flavor. I couldnt taste anything but Blue Rassberry! So, now all I do is wait. And all they will do is m0nitor me. The side effects of the chemo havent kicked in yet. I'm not yet neutropenic, meaning I won't have an immune system. So, those effects should be hitting me shortly. They really want to ensure that I don't get any fevers or infections. Mouth sores can be an issue but they gave me a saline rinse that I continually use to protect against them from showing up. I don't want mouth sores. Anyway...so far...I've been in good spirits. The procedures have gone well and I've felt relatively good. I've got lotsa books from friends and the library here. I'm actually going to read Farehnheit 451 again. I read it in High School and want to read it again. The faily center has lotsa videos, too; good ones. They hopefully will make a nice diversion. I've got my i-pod loaded with classic jazz; Coletrane, Bird, Miles, Monk, Armstrong, etc. I lie in bed at night and just let the music take me away. They are amazing. I've had many great friends and family stop by, call me or reach out and say hello. It really does makes it easier. Week one is down...Two more to go. I hope all is well with everyone and everyone is out enjoying this wonderful weekend. Take care and hope to speak to you all soon. Love ya, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?