Sunday, June 24, 2007

 
The Cost of Being Sick!: The following is said with my tongue in cheek. For I'm incredibly grateful that my company has kept me insured for all of this time. Lord knows that I can't even begin to imagine what all this has cost; actually a rough estimate puts it close to $2M. So, I guess if I wasnt insured then the hospitals and treatments and doctors would be outta luck. I'd be living in a cardboard box and no one would be getting any money.

But, i digress....The cost of being sick. Well, I've lost over 50lbs in the past year. For the past few months I've been cinching up my belts smaller and smaller and overlapping my pants and wearing shirts that are now way too big. I've estimated it's at least 5 or 6 inches off my waist. The new diet plan...The Cancer Diet!! You too can lose weight quickly and not so easily!! So, my cheap ass finally said I need new clothes after my shorts repeatly fell from my waist to the floor. So, I went out and got 3 pairs of shorts, 3 belts, and about 4 shirts. That'll be the start. All my work clothes will need to be altered, too.

And that's just my clothes. I'm now getting antsy to start excersising again and get into shape. I've been inactive for the past year due to my treatments and chemo etc. But, I can't run anymore for fear of impacting my bones. So, my idea is to get a bike. You know, low impact but still a good cardio workout. Well, let me tell you that my butt is so sore! I've been trying out bikes and I guess my ass isn't use to those thin, hard bike seats. And, now I'm trying to leverage out in my brain the cost of riding versus how much dust will gather on the bike. In my head I'm riding the Tour de France. But, somehow I know it'll spend a lot of time in the corner of the room. So, we'll see. I'm not ready to ride yet. I'm waiting to get my catherter out which will probably occur within another month.

And that doesnt include the new TV that I needed when mine exploded. I figured I needed a nice one if I was gonna be laid up after chemo and all my treatments. Rationalizations work well, huh? Thank god I've been able to hold onto my saving through this...so far.

Ok the medical progress....I went to the Doctor's this past Thursday. We don't have numerical data back yet telling how effective the chemo and bone marrow transplant did. But, the doctor was real happy with my progress. My first week back was rough. But, since then I've been feeling better and better. I've actually been out golfing twice now since the treatment and apparently that's impressive so soon after chemo (I actually walked 11 holes yesterday). So, I guess I can recuperate pretty good. I'm guess that's from all of your positive thoughts and prayers. I probably wouldnt be here without you.

So now I'm looking forward to getting back into life. I'ts been a year since I found out...well actually July 9th will be a year. Hopefully everything will show I can begin some semblance of a life. I will still be on dialysis. That sucks. That takes up 3 days a week. It might mean I need to give even more effort. But, I'm hoping that I can fit a life and work in and around that. We'll see. I'm getting anxious to be productive again.

Take care and thanks again to everyone. I hope all is well with you. Love ya, Lance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?