Thursday, July 19, 2007

 
It's Been a Couple of Weeks: But, I wanted to wait until I had something to say. I just got back from my oncologist and he gave me the run down from the stem cell transplant and my last round of chemo. According to the Doc, everything looks good. He's very satisfied with my current health, how I look, and all the numerical data. If you remember, when I first was diagnosed (a year ago today) my myeloma count was 1,200. As of today, my counts were at 10. Normal values range between 1 and 2. So....I'm doing pretty good. The Doc was encouraged and said that he thinks I should be good for "a while". Who's to say what a "while" is. But, I'm holding out for a few years before I gotta go through anything like this again. Besides, the Doctor indicated that should the levels start to increase in a few years then it's quite possible to simply treat the myeloma again with chemo doses of Velcade and steroids. I survived those treatments relatively well early on. So, if comes to that again, I'm hopeful that all will be well.

So, what does this mean? Well, for one thing it means that I will soon return to work. The Doctor gave me clearance to start again on Monday August 27th on a part time basis. I've continued to stay in touch with my company and so far they've been more than accomodating. Words cant describe how grateful I am for all their help and support. Come August I will need to rearrange my dialysis schedule to Tue, Thurs, and Sat so I can at least work on Mon, Wed and Fri. And, whatever other time I can afford on the remaining days. I will do whatever I can do.

I'm both excited and anxious to start work again. Don't get me wrong, I want to work and contribute again. But, let me tell you this last month not working or doing much else has been nice. Yes, I've still got dialysis. But, the other days off are nice. A person can get used to this....that's why I gotta get back to work. Besides, Social Security doesnt pay that well. I'm also a little nervous about going back to work, too. I mean, it's been a year and I don't know what I've missed or what I can contribute. I'm not even sure if I remember how to complete a timesheet. I feel as if I'll be a third-wheel in a sense. Part of my unsettleness at work has always been that I like to make a contribution. If I don't feel like I'm contributing, I don't feel useful. So I hope I can make a difference where ever I can.

It also means that I've been as active as I can be. I've been riding my new bicycle 12-15 miles at a time; I've been playing tennis; I've been golfing; and I've been going for long walks along the river (sounds like a Match.com profile...lol). Seriously, I've had some more time to myself now that the myeloma-related appointments are reduced to once a month. So, it's been good to get out and about. I'll tell you that I've forgotten how sore excerise can make me. It may not be the myeloma. It might not be that I havent exercised in a year. It might be that I'm 41! oh...ah....ouch! But, it's a good pain.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not exercising to keep the myeloma away. I think I figure that if I pedal a little harder, or go a little further, then I can keep the myeloma away a little longer. Realistically, I don't think that's the case. But, sublimally I think those are the roots of my exercising. It's good though. I enjoy being in shape. And being at 205lbs instead of 248lbs is more in line with my lifestyle. I like it. Hopefully I can just keep the Monte Cristos and Calzones at bay!

Anyway, I hope all is well and everyone is doing fine. Thanks again for everyone's help and support. Love ya's, Lance

Comments:
Woo Hoo!!! This is the one I've been waiting for. I have your blog bookmarked and I check it often. In fact, I've getting anxious because you haven't been here for a while! I am so happy that you are getting back some sense of life as you knew it before this past year. Once you get back in the groove at work you will be contributing like the asset you were before you left. Big hugs to you. You're always in my thoughts.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?